Monday, June 6, 2011

Three rides in under a week--amazing! And shifting focus for the year.

I don't remember the last time I rode three times in less than a week; my inner thighs sure are paying for it today!

Limerick is moving and feeling very, very well after all her issues and chiropractic appointment, so now I have to start getting her back into shape for jumping. At this point her back has dipped slightly and she's lacking some muscle on her hindquarters, but for a mare that has been through so much this year, she doesn't look bad at all...hardly! And mentally she is incredibly motivated and ready to get back to work--that is the most important part.

To aid in ensuring that Lim stays on the track to fitness, I asked a teenage girl from my barn to ride Limerick once a week. She's a good, experienced rider so I think it would be fun for the both of them, and relieve a little pressure on my busy schedule.

Speaking of which, I have also decided that I am not Superwoman and it is impossible for me to focus on both running and riding. Meaning, I cannot reasonably expect to train for a 100-mile ultra-marathon if I also want to jump Limerick again.

So, for this year at least, it looks like I will not be racing. I do plan to get back into running regularly, and will even run a 20 miler here and there, but race? Nah. I also plan on working on jewelry, for humans and animals alike, more. So rather than the focus being on running, with riding as a supplement (as it was in 2010), I will shift gears to the focus being on riding, with running as a supplement, and jewelry-making at home in my spare time.

Maybe it's because I got a taste of losing Limerick in April, but for now I just want to spend as much time with her as possible. She is a wonderful horse, and even after all these years, my sense of discovery with her has not abated. If anything, I feel like there is so much more to explore with her, and time is running short. She may not look or behave it, but she is 20, and I have far, far more years on this earth than my girl.

I need to make the most of my time with her!

With my new focus on getting Lim back in shape, I have signed this blog up for email posting; now I can post photos and bits of text immediately from my phone, anywhere!

No comments: