Thursday, June 30, 2011

Another lost shoe....sigh.

Yeah, what the title says--she lost a shoe yesterday. It's getting frustrating. The farrier puts epoxy and glue over the chipped areas of her hooves, where the nail holes go, but that epoxy falls off after a while, and then the shoe inevitably follows.

What's happening here? Well, based upon radiographs, in late winter my vet recommended that my farrier trim Limerick's feet slightly differently. He had no problem doing this, but in between her feet adapting to the new trim, the extreme wet/dry swings in the weather lately, and the influx of flies (and the stomping that follows), Lim has just been losing shoes left and right. Literally.

I also suspect that her health issues in April may be contributing, because hooves are only healthy from the inside out. But it's hard to say.

Either way, it's so frustrating!

I did have a great ride on Tuesday evening. I rode in my old hunter/jumper saddle (I need to get a feel for that thing again! It feels like a jockey saddle after riding in the dressage one) then after the ride I took the saddle off and walked her around bareback, scratching all her itchy spots for her as we went. I think she enjoyed it more than I did!

No comments: