Monday, January 4, 2010

What does one do when the temperatures are hovering around zero?

It's been too cold for me to ride for the past week, which is too bad...I was hoping for a New Year's Day ride.

(But I did turn Lim loose in the indoor arena on New Year's Eve and play 'tag' with her, excited snorting, flagged tail, flying arena sand and all!)

Of course, you don't need to ride in order to have fun with your horse. Yesterday I went on a run that took me by the barn and of course, I had to stop in and see Lim.

She was turned out when I arrived.


Look at that blanket all askew! She, and the rest of the herd, were dozing in the sun.

So I wouldn't spook her, I kissed at her from the doorway. She turned her head and looked at me, eyes wide.

Hey, it's you!

I went into the pasture and stood by her in the sun. She was glad to see me. I rubbed her fuzzy neck and forehead then scratched her withers beneath her blanket. I tried to get a picture of her but each time I backed away a couple steps so she would fill the frame, she would walk towards me and give me a nudge or curiously nibble my Blackberry.

Finally, I got a picture.


After chatting with Lim and more wither scratching, and her nuzzling me (including my head), my sweaty self was getting cold beneath my layers so I had to leave. When I ducked back beneath the bar blocking the pasture door, she followed me and watched me leave until I was out of sight. Awwww!


Bye bye, baby, I'll see you later tonight for your dinner!

2 comments:

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

Aww, how sweet:)

I finally got out and rode/jumped my horse yesterday, man was it cold!
Hope you can ride soon,

Toby's Trainer

EcoLicious Equestrian said...

awwh your horse has such a beautiful blaze :o)