Wednesday, January 23, 2013

It's too cold to do much more than hibernate

I rode Limerick this past Saturday and for our first ride in a month, it went very well. Initially, she got herself a little worked up but I was able to defuse the bomb before it went off and get her to r-e-l-a-x!

The goal of the ride was twofold. First, I wanted to see how Lim felt under-saddle--was she sore or stiff from the hematoma? Was she ready to progress to longer rides? And second, after an extended time off, I like to hop on Lim for a short-but-sweet ride just to get ourselves reacquainted with the very ritual of riding. Perhaps it's a mare thing, but I find that this works much better, in the long run, than expecting her to do a lot the first time back.

The weather was lovely on Saturday. Then wee had a cold front pass through Sunday, and Monday and Tuesday carried wind chills well below zero. I had originally planned to ride again tonight because the early forecast stated that the temperature would be around 30 for today--downright balmy! But as of now--noon--it's only 19 degrees, with a feels-like temperature of 6 degrees. Looks like I'll have to wait until the weekend to ride again, but that's okay. You can't fight mother nature!

No comments: