Monday, July 2, 2012

Cara (June 1994 - June 28, 2012)

I remember the day we got you from Orphans of the Storm. I was at a birthday party, and my parents had gone to the shelter before picking me up from the party. As soon as I got into the car, I peered into the cat carrier and saw a small black ball of fluff with two golden eyes looking back at me. We seemed to regard each other with equal curiosity!

You became fast friends with Sebastian, also a kitten. You two were nearly inseparable, and save his long brown tabby for and your short dark fur, one would guess you were siblings. When he died in 2001, you mourned for weeks. His loss devastated all of us.

You were a sassy thing as a young cat, and gorgeous, like an Egyptian goddess. Your beauty inspired me throughout my younger years--photographs, drawings and poems were made in your honor. Throughout your 18 years, you always carried yourself with dignity, whether you were sleeping by the fireplace or opening the screen door, letting all the cats out and the bugs in.

If there is one spot of sun spilling onto the floor, a cat will find it and soak it up.  ~J.A. McIntosh

That cat was you, and never again will the sunny spots in my parents' house be the same without you. Rest in peace, Cara, and I hope you found your brother, Sebastian, on the other side.







No comments: