Friday, June 27, 2008

A better day

I'm feeling a bit better today. I'm not so freaked out and worrying I will lose Limerck.

One day at a time. The visit to Morrie Waud may not even reveal anything, or it may be something super-simple and easy to mend. It will be a hard day for both Limerick and I, but it is necessary.

Colic, thinness, and Limerick's age--17--are all prompting me to make sure she is okay. I realize this trip will not be cheap, but it's worth it for my peace of mind.

I know that if I decide to skip to this trip, I will always be wondering if there is something going on in Lim, something that could have been detected and treated before it got worse (and much more expensive!). The guilt and worry would consume me. You can't put a price tag on knowledge.

The other night, I was trying to explain my bond with Limerick to my mom. I stated that she was a partner. My mom suggested that she was a companion. But neither word was what I was looking for so I left it at that.

Yesterday, propelled by my passion for Limerick, I told a friend what she meant to me. I said that she was my equine sister--we are so similar, and so close, and share a strong bond and mutual understanding of each other. There are times when we will bicker like sisters, too! The day I broke my toe because I was insisting she walk while she was insisting that she graze comes to mind. But days like that are few and far in between.

Last night I was reading Tao of Equus. In an early section of the book, the author states that a trainer once said that her relationship with her mare was unusual, and that they were like sisters. The words struck me hard and I re-read them over and over.

I had said the same thing earlier that day. Never before have I heard the phrase be used, and now it was coming to me twice in a day.

Today, we waited for the tractor to move so Limerick could go back into her stall. We stood in the upper barn. I held her head and breathed in the sweet scent of her forelock and ears. I miss riding her, but the best bonding happens on the ground.

The vet will be out soon to re-evaluate Lim.

No comments: