Monday, June 11, 2012

And yet another failed Triple Crown--or not?

*2012, I'll Have Another: Possibly the most promising Triple Crown candidate since Real Quiet and Silver Charm, I'll Have Another....didn't even start in the 144th running of the Belmont Stakes due to an inflamed tendon on his left fore. And so another year goes by with no Triple Crown winner.

*Would you consider this a failed Triple Crown bid? I'm on the fence with this one--on one hand, it is a failure because the horse won the first two legs of the Crown and not the third. But on the other hand, if he didn't even start in the Belmont, then is it fair to say he failed? Either way, this attempt will forever have an asterisk next to it.

With I'll Have Another out of the way, Union Rags redeemed himself by winning the Belmont under a nice ride by jockey John Velazquez. I've liked this colt very much since his impressive Breeder's Cup Juvenile last year. I look forward to seeing him race throughout the fall.

No comments: