Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Barn etiquette and an update

No, I still haven't ridden, unfortunately! I guess it's not so bad to not ride during the winter, though....not! I would give anything to ride Lim right now. However, I have to wait. She is still barefoot and still sore after trims--not as sore as she was when she had the abscess, but still sore enough to push aside any hopes of riding her.

I don't know how long it will be, but it'll be a while. Sigh.

Lim had a chiropractic appointment on Friday; it was a last-minute thing after I found out an equine chiropractor would be at the barn that day. I had been thinking about having this done for a while with Dr. Heinze but I figured I would give this vet a shot since she was already there. I will post more details at a later date, but it was an interesting session.

And now, the subject of barn etiquette. A little over a week ago, I arrived at the barn and found a couple key items in Lim's stall in a disarray--her stall guard was looped up in a way that I would never do, and even worse, her rubber feed pan was located across the aisle by another horse's stall. Needless to say, I was furious!

After texting different people, I could not figure out who had moved her feed pan. So the next step was to talk to the barn owner. She did a little investigative work of her own and pinpointed a particular person, but this person denied everything. I will not go into detail here, but I have decided to drop the whole thing for now. If it happens again then there will be hell to pay, but in the meantime I simply let this person know that "no matter" who moved/used Lim's feed pan, it would not be tolerated. I also updated the info sign on Lim's stall and added a new sign stating that her stuff should not be used or removed without permission and placed it in a prominent location. Lastly, I wrapped her feed pan twice over with bright green tape and wrote her name in black marker all over this tape. There had already been tape on the bottom of the pan, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to make it more clear that the pan belonged to Limerick.

Hopefully this takes care of everything, but really? I find it amazing that people are so inconsiderate and rude that I have to do this in the first place. What happened to "if it's not yours, don't touch it" and other basic, common-sense rules?

While I love this barn and am happy Lim enjoys it there, at the same time, incidents like this make me want to move to my own place that much more.

No comments: