Friday, May 13, 2011

Lim is 20 tomorrow, and an excellent piece on her grandsire Damascus

Tomorrow is Limerick's 20th birthday! My husband and I plan to make something special for her to eat.

I've always been a fan of Limerick's pedigree--very old-fashioned and full of black type names of yesteryear like Damascus, Citation, The Axe II, Blenheim II, Sir Gallahad III, Blue Larkspur, Mumtaz Mahal, Man o' War, and more.

I can see these horses, particularly Damascus and his sire, Sword Dancer, in her.

I came across a wonderful blog post about Damascus, as well as some videos of historic races. I've long been an admirer of the blazing-fast Dr. Fager, as well, and I will always think it is so cool that Lim's grandsire and Dr. Fager were rivals!

And to cap off this post, in honor of Lim's birthday here are some photos from her direct paternal line--sire Hot Oil, his sire Damascus, his sire Sword Dancer, and Sword Dancer's paternal grandsire, Sun Again. That blaze really travels!


Hot Oil

Damascus

Sword Dancer

Sun Again

No comments: