Tuesday, March 17, 2009

When two worlds merge....

The other evening, I was in a Walgreens drugstore. I had on my brown barn jacket, black riding breeches, and navy blue muck boots. All of these items were (are) far from clean and somehow, everything seemed dirtier beneath the fluorescent lights of the drugstore.

And of course, nothing matched!

I piled the items in my arms on the cash register counter. Isopropyl alcohol, Betadine, moleskin and blister bandages. Already at home was the sewing needle, Neosporin, and paper towels.

I had a massive blister between my big toe and the toe next to it and an extra-long run planned the next day. I wasn't going to let this blister stop me from running, much less walking (and indeed, at home twenty minutes later and ten minutes before lancing the blister, I was hopping about on one foot).

$23 and change.

I opened my wallet and flakes and leaves of hay fell out and onto the clean white tile floor.

No comments: