Monday, February 27, 2012

A story with remarkable parallels

 http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120226/news/702269956/

A teacher I had in high school posted this on my Facebook wall the other day. As I began to read it, I was interested. But I was blown away by the time I finished. Not only is the story remarkable, and the happy ending something that every horse could hope for, but the parallels between Limerick and I, and Burma and Megan are amazing.

The personality of both mares is very similar, and while Lim is not large at 15 hands even, both are variations of bays with blazes. I have had Lim since early 1996 and my mom and I considered either selling or leasing her as a broodmare when I was in college. But when Lim became injured and foundered, we instead nursed her back to health and decided against selling her.

I often wonder what would have happened if we had leased or sold her. If we had, and I lost track of her, I would never be able to forgive myself. I would search for news of her until the end of my days. I am so very grateful that she never left our care, and I suppose that in a way, it was a good thing that she foundered.

What an amazing story!

No comments: